Monday, May 24, 2010


Samson is now about five and a half months old.  At the vets, when he was precisely 5 months, he weighed 54lbs!!!  Today I weighed him and he was about sixty.  It is very hard to carry him anymore :).  I can still just barely manage it!

Flea/Tick season is in full swing, and it seems to be worse this year, probably because of all the torrential rain we've gotten lately.  I have found none on him yet, hopefully the K9 Advantix is working as advertised.  I did find one crawling on me however today, while I was sitting in the truck with him.  I am not sure where I picked it up as I have not been near any wooded areas for quite awhile.  Certainly not that morning, at any rate.  I am still checking him vigorously.

He recently started sleeping in his cage again, I think that has to do with the fact that it is the coldest part of my room :).  We are going to move my room down to the basement next month where it is much cooler and much more appropriate for a dog.  When my room gets too hot we have a baby gate set up to section off the laundry room and he sleeps there.

Today in under fifteen minutes I taught him what "shake left" and "shake right" means.  He doesn't get them 100% yet, but he does understand there is a difference, and he knows exactly what to do if I tell him that he got it wrong.  I have never had any problems teaching this dog to do tricks, he picks things up and understands them so quickly!  I think the reason he did not get shake left/shake right as fast this time is because there isn't a clear, distinct hand signal for each.  He is used to watching my hand for commands, not listening to my voice.  I could tell he had figured out that is precisely what he needed to do, though, sometimes I would stick my hand out, say "Shake Left!" and he would hesitate, shifting his weight back and forth, and I could see his brain churning, trying to figure out which paw to lift up.  This is a very different behavior from normal, as usually his right paw goes up immediately after he sits down, whether we have our hand out for a shake or not!  He loves doing shake!

Tomorrow I think I will head into the vet's to get a year's supply of heartworm pill, and four or five months worth of K9 Advantix.  Pricey, pricey, especially since he needs a new collar and probably another couple bags of dog food.  He is on a brand called "Taste of the Wild."  It is grain free and very meat-heavy.  More calcium than is appropriate with a growing large breed pup, but his bones are so much larger proportionate to his body size (compared to other similar breeds) that I worry more about too little calcium than too much.  He is growing at a very even rate anyhow, so it seems to be doing good for him.

1 comment:

AmericanAlsatian said...

Just wanted to let you know that in my opinion he is not eating enough. I suggest that you keep doing what you are doing, and feed him 1/2 of what you feed him on the SECOND dish. put 3 table spoons of gravy over the second amount of kibbles so that he will eat them all. Over feed puppies until you train. during training we hold off on food so that a dog/pup will enjoy rewards and want them. But... We must be sure to continue to over feed puppies of the large breeds so that they get MORE for growth and size.

Post a Comment