Sunday, October 17, 2010

More Samson pictures, developmental headaches.




 Samson is entering his second fear period now.  I guess this makes sense because he just got over his flight instinct period...which I didn't tolerate.  Maybe that's why it ended so soon :).  That link says they begin to lift their legs around the time they enter this period, and Samson has certainly been doing that (outdoors, of course!!!).  I actually didn't handle the first imprint period well, in terms of socializing with other dogs...and with respects to that, he's overcome that WONDERFULLY!  For instance, he used to be terrified of Jake, once even wet himself when Jake rolled him...now he gets so excited when I turn down the lane where Jake lives.  Other dogs he plays with just great as well.

  Anyway, it is taking a lot of patience on my end, but we are working through it, making sure that regardless of how he reacts...it is a GOOD experience.  I thought this didn't happen until after a year old, but it lasts anywhere from 6 to 14 months old, and can be longer in large breeds as it is tied to sexual maturity.  Things which he usually acted "aloof" towards are now scaring him.  I haven't kept up the same socialization schedule from when he was younger, either, so this might be partially my fault that he is being a bit more reactive than usual.  I just hammer home on training even harder, I figure if he has something to focus on, he'll worry less about "new people."

  Samson has never been overly excited about meeting new people - I knew this would be his nature before I got him.  He's generally aloof, really only cares about me, or his "other people."  Gives new people a sniff or two at most, a couple times he reacted in a way that I could call "excited," but fear is a new one.  I have every bit of confidence that if I keep working with him the way I have been, he will exit this period of his development just fine, and better off than he was before.  

  I suppose I should be exceptionally grateful that I haven't really had any significant issues with him before now...and relative to most dogs, this here isn't even a significant issue, it's just significant relative to HIM.  Samson has been absolutely wonderful to work with, incredibly easy to live with, very attentive to me, abundantly intelligent, and so easy to train.  I would barely even call this a "hiccup" when I consider what other dog owners talk about going through with their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment